Upside-down mortgage relief comes in a few forms. Which is best for you depends on if you want to stay in your home or walk away.

If you are underwater and have negative equity you can work with your bank to modify the loan or reduce the principal. You probably can’t refinance.

If its best to leave your home then you should consider a short sale rather than let the bank foreclose. Bankruptcy is also a better alternative.